About Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad & Museum
The railroad was started in 1983 by a group of volunteers who wanted to preserve a scenic section of the former Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern Railroad. The original track was built in the 1890s and electrified in 1907. After massive flooding damaged the power plant providing electricity to the line in 1954, the railroad soon turned to diesel equipment to pull its trains. The Chicago & North Western (CNW) purchased the entire FDDMS system in 1968. Shortly after acquiring the line, the Chicago & North Western began to place portions of it up for abandonment. In 1983, an eleven mile section of the line was purchased by the Boone Railroad Historical Society, and its 2254 charter members, for $50,000. This stretch of track, winding through the Des Moines River Valley, includes a 156' tall bridge spanning Bass Point Creek. The line runs from Boone, through the old coal mining town of Fraser, and ends at the site of the former junction with the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway at Wolf.
225 10th Street
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri 8:30a-4:30p; Sat 8a-6p; Sun 9a-5p
Where is Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad & Museum